This house sits on the original Charles Mouton’s Plantation property. Notary Public and Court Recorder for the town of Vermilionville, William Brandt, purchased the property in 1859. He reconstructed the house into a Greek Revival style townhouse in 1870. Prior to being remodeled, the building was an overseer’s residence built in the form of a 2-room Acadian Cottage. The Charles Mouton Plantation house is located at 338 North Sterling Street, less than a mile away. It is featured in this book on page 6. Experts estimate the overseer residence was built around 1820, sometime before the main plantation house was built. Subsequent owners have discovered several clues during restoration work, confirming that the front of the house originally faced what is now West Congress Street. The former front gallery, or porch of the two-room Acadian Cottage now serves as the current side hall entryway. Around 1870, the entire roof was reconstructed to its present configuration, and a new front gallery was added, creating the Greek Revival façade that exists today. It is one of a very few surviving 19th century Greek Revival structures in Lafayette Parish.