COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
Most Holy Sacrament Convent was built for Roman Catholic Sisters of the Most Holy Sacrament as their mother convent in Lafayette. The building and grounds included the sisters’ kindergarten, novitiate house, and sisters’ retirement home for sixty years. Exceptional Spanish Revival details adorn the building, including Spanish tile roofing, intricate brick detailing, and roman arched windows. The entire complex includes 7 buildings totaling 70,000 square feet on 3.75 acres of serene, park-like grounds. The grounds are original to the 1924 development. The building that fronts Saint Mary Boulevard was added around 1969 and hides the Spanish Revival Buildings behind it. The property remains culturally and historically significant, not only for its century-old gardens, but also as one of many examples of the important social and civic services accomplished by the Roman Catholic Church throughout much of Lafayette’s early history. In 1990, the property was purchased by Affiliated Blind of Louisiana, a non-profit that provides training and support to the visually impaired.