COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
In the late 1800s, throughout the United States, small neighborhoods were developed around railroad stations to address the residential needs resulting from the rapid growth of the railroad industry. At the beginning of rail service through Lafayette, the land immediately north of Lafayette’s train depot was subdivided into McComb, Parkerson, and Nickerson Addition subdivisions. Moss House was one of the first houses built in the Nickerson Addition subdivision. In 1936, the house was purchased by Jefferson Moss. In 1947, it was purchased by his nephew, Alfred “A. J.” Moss, Jr., and it remained in the Moss family until 2003. A key feature of the Victorian architectural style is the abundant use of embellishments such as the pierced aprons on all gables and the fish scale siding on the larger dormer window. The original raised wooden porch has been replaced with a concrete pad, and the Doric style porch roof supports were added later. Despite these modifications, the Moss House retains integrity of location, setting, materials, workmanship, design, feeling, and association.