COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
Maurice Pollingue House was named for the man who built this traditional Craftsman residence. Maurice Ignace Pollingue was born in 1875 in Saint Landry Parish. He was the son of Maurice Pollingue, Sr., who was born in France in 1833 and who served as First Lieutenant during the Civil War in Vermilion Parish’s 18th Regiment. Maurice, Jr. moved into this house in Elmhurst Park around 1910 with his wife, Pearl, and their five-year-old daughter. He taught piano at the new technical college, the predecessor to UL Lafayette. The college was called Southwest Louisiana Industrial Institute. The subdivision, Elmhurst Park, was developed a few years after the Institute was established in 1898. It was a conveniently-located residential subdivision with direct access to campus. By 1910, streets were paved, lots were sold, and houses were built. This Craftsman house is arguably one of the best examples of all surviving craftsman residences in Lafayette. The windows, roofline, porch balustrades, columns, building massing and building form are in original condition, thanks to former owners, Dave and Holly Thomas, who carefully rehabilitated the building to its original design.