COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
This building originated on a plantation near Carencro, owned by Francois and Antoine Emile Mouton. It is a perfect example of a double-pen, French Creole style Acadian Cottage, using colombage and bousillage wall construction. It is believed to have originally been built for use as slaves’ iving quarters. Firm evidence confirms the building was later used as a schoolhouse for the Mouton children and surrounding neighbors. Both the Guidroz and Bernard family children attended the school, and one of its teachers was Alexandre Barde. In 1861, Barde wrote the legendary book about the history of the committee of vigilantes of Attakapas Territory in the District of Orleans, “Histoire des Comités de Vigilance aux Attakapas”. In 1954, Judge Orther Mouton’s daughter, Mrs. Charles E. Hamilton, also known as Tante Ruth, purchased the building and moved it to her property at 700 West University Avenue to serve as an Acadian Museum. The building was rehabilitated, and the museum was opened in time for the 1965 Bicentennial Commemoration of the Acadian’s Expulsion from Nova Scotia. In 1989, the building was donated to Vermilionville Historic Village and was carefully restored to the condition of the original building.