James Domengeaux House
James Domengeaux House
Built Circa Year: 1922
Address: 1403 Saint John Street
National Register of Historic Places: Lafayette Historic Register Number 105
Historic Register Listing:Designated November 16, 2017

This Craftsman bungalow is an excellent example of the type of residence built in Elmhurst Park in the early 1900s. The Craftsman architectural style is an American domestic style inspired by the Arts and Crafts Movement that began in the late 1800s. It was the most predominant style built between 1905 and 1930, during a period of significant population growth in Lafayette. The Domengeaux House is one of many properties contributing to the historic significance of Lafayette Register Neighborhood, Elmhurst Park, which is Located immediately west of UL Lafayette’s main campus. Both subdivisions, 1901 Girard Addition and adjacent 1905
Elmhurst Park Addition, are collectively referred to as Elmhurst Park. This house is most associated with James Domengeaux who lived in the house with his wife, Eleanor St. Julien between 1935 and 1963. James’ mother, Marie Marthe Mouton Domengeaux, widow of Judge Jerome R. Domengeaux also lived in the house for a time. James Domengeaux was former U.S. Representative for Louisiana’s 3rd congressional district from 1941 to 1949, and he is well known for being the founder of the Council for the Development of French in Louisiana (CODOFIL).