COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
Elmhurst Park Historic Neighborhood was part of the vast land holdings of Basil Catryl Crow and Maxime Brashear, both of whom trace their ancestries to French Huguenot refugees in early Maryland and Nantes, France. They gifted the land that encompasses Elmhurst Park neighborhood to their daughter, Maxime, and her husband, Michael Eloi Girard. Girard was the son of Anastasie Mouton of Saint James Parish, Louisiana and Michael Eloi Girard of Baigne, France. In 1901, the Girard family developed Girard Addition and later sold 30 acres to George T. Hedges from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Hedges then developed Elmhurst Park Subdivision. Early Elmhurst Park neighbors are familiar names in Lafayette’s history, such as Joel L. Fletcher, James D. Parkerson, and Stella and Mable Roy who lived on Amelia Street. Clarence Alliet, Leopold Weill, Sr., Louise Couret, Edgar G. Mouton, George Doucet, P. J. and Henry Voorhies, and Gilbert St. Julien lived on Saint John Street. John M. Montgomery, Frank Jeanmard, Gussie Plonsky, Oswald Fournet, Thomas DeClouet and Frank Debaillon lived on Dunreath Street, and Arthur Yandle, Donald Labbe, Claude B. Gouaux, Edith Garland Dupre, Manning F. Billeaud, Jr., and John W. Faulk lived on Cherry Street.