COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
This house has been most notably associated with Dr. Thomas Benjamin Hopkins (1832 – 1922). He was a dedicated physician throughout Acadiana from 1866 until the time of his death in 1922. He received his medical training at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. In 1866, after serving in the Civil War, he moved to Vermilionville from Claiborne Parish, Louisiana with his father-in-law, Dr. John Bailey Kennedy. Together they purchased Hopkins’ heirs reported that this house originated as a circa 1815 bousillage house that was moved to the town of Vermilionville around 1850, from Bosco, Louisiana by its previous owner, Mr. Ursin Patin. The house originally faced West Simcoe Street in the next block. In 1914, the house was moved again, one half block north, across West Simcoe Street to its present location. Dr. Hopkins had decided to build a fashionable Craftsman style house on his property at 403 South Pierce Street, and as was the custom at the time, he remodeled the house and enlarged it to fit his needs.