COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
The Colomb-Chauvin House is a single-story Craftsman style Bungalow, made popular by the American Arts and Crafts movement in California in the early 1900s. Characteristic elements of the Craftsman style are the wide gabled roof line, overhanging eaves with exposed rafter tails, and a deep, full-width front porch, supported by wood columns on square concrete piers. This historic home is constructed mostly of cypress, including the siding on the exterior façades. It derives its name from the Colomb family and the Chauvin family, who were the original owners through 2013. In 1920, Union Pacific Railroad engineer, Lewis Henry Colomb , at age 23 years, personally oversaw construction of the house using local carpenters. After Lewis’ accidental death, Mrs. Olma Colomb and the couple’s eight children, lived in the house for 61 years. In 1981, Albert Chauvin, Jr., purchased the property and maintained it in good condition for 32 years.