Central Fire Station
Central Fire Station
Built Circa Year: 1965
Address: 300 East Vermilion Street
National Register of Historic Places: Lafayette Historic Register Number 124
Historic Register Listing:Designated December 17, 2020

Lafayette’s first fire station was built on this site sometime between 1914 and 1920 on property purchased from the Chargois family who lived on this block. This Central Fire Station building is part of the Lafayette Central Business National Register Historic District also called, “Le Centre”. The 1965 building was designed by Modernism architect, Hal Norwood Perkins, Jr., a partner of the firm, Perkins Lagroue Architects. The building was designed under Mayor J. Rayburn Bertrand, who was best known for his leadership during the years of unprecedented growth in Lafayette, and who served from 1960 to 1972. It was during his administration that Lafayette was recognized as Louisiana’s fastest growing city, and also as a trailblazer in economic development and both civic and cultural advancement. The Lafayette Central Fire Station building is an example of Lafayette’s municipal Modern architecture. Characteristic design elements include the juxtaposition of prominent vertical and horizontal lines, a building form that follows the function of the building, and exposed, unadorned structural elements that create a “truth in architecture” aesthetic. In 2021, the sculptural concrete roof structure was covered in standing seam metal.