Soulier House was built by Mr. and Mrs. Emile Soulier around 1916. Mrs. Soulier was the daughter of J. Arthur Roy, whose house was located next door. As was the common practice in those days, Mr. Roy gave to each of his daughters, property adjacent to his house. The Soulier House remained in the family until it was sold to the University in 1988. The structure includes elements of the “Free Classic” subtype of Queen Anne architecture, with defining elements such as the classical columns on the front porch and glass transom above the main entrance. About 35% of Queen Anne houses used classical elements as a departure from the more fanciful spindle work and delicate cornice trim. The departure was prevalent after 1890 and influenced the early Colonial Revival houses of the subsequent Revivalism design movement.