Shady Brook House was built for Dr. Robert D. Voorhies, a staff physician for Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute (SLII). Dr. Voorhies and his family lived in this house for nearly fifty years. Elmhurst Park Subdivision was developed between 1905 and 1907 when Lafayette experienced significant population growth. Lafayette’s population grew 92% between 1900 and 1910 due to the completion of the Railroad line between New Orleans and Houston in 1880 and the establishment of SLII in 1898. Elmhurst Park’s resident population shifted 50 years later, when new construction, new building technologies and modern appliances enticed residents into new subdivisions elsewhere. Elmhurst Park properties became rentals for students and student organizations, and many structures suffered a decline in maintenance and value. In 1988, Mr. and Mrs. Phil Martin restored Shady Brook to its original, neoclassical look, and a renewed interest in the subdivision followed. Today, most of Elmhurst Park’s historic properties have been rehabilitated. The quality of the historic structures and the subdivision’s proximity to the University and downtown have placed Elmhurst Park properties back in high demand.