Saucier-Bares House

Saucier-Bares House

Built 1917
205 West University Avenue
NSCD XVII Century: Designated October 24, 1992
Lafayette Historic Register Number 029: Designated January 5, 1994

Saucier-Bares House was built for Dr. Merrick Saucier in 1917. Dr. Saucier was one of the founders of the Lafayette Sanitarium, the forerunner to Lafayette General Medical Center. When the Saucier-Bares House was built, it was located on the outskirts of town next to the original University campus. It was constructed of solid cypress and contains a fully-enclosed basement. In 1982, the house was purchased from Dr. Saucier’s daughter by Wendell Bares, who has since restored the home to its original condition. Bares’ maternal grandmother, Josephine Oxford, was a collateral descendant of Martha Washington. As such, the house now has the honored distinction of being listed as an historic property by the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century (NSCD XVIIc), Rev. Obadiah Holmes Chapter. NSCD XVIIc is an organization of women who are lineal descendants of an ancestor who lived and served prior to 1701 in one of the Original Colonies in the geographical area of the present United States of America. They are devoted to preserving the memory of those that settled in the United States of America prior to 1701.

No Comments

Post A Comment