The history of Saint Mary’s Orphanage goes back to 1924, when the home was established by Bishop Jules B. Jeanmard to care for orphans in the community. The one remaining historic building on the site today was once part of a complex of three orphanage buildings. St. Mary’s Orphanage is worthy of note for its role initiating the creation of the Lafayette Preservation Commission. In 1986, when the two main buildings were demolished by Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, a large outcry from the community prompted the creation of Lafayette’s first Historic Preservation Ordinance, adopted in 1988. The nonprofit organization, Preservation Alliance of Lafayette, was also created in response to the demolition.