This house is a perfect example of the American Foursquare house of the American Craftsman architectural movement. It was built by Henry Herman Hohorst in 1905 on property he later subdivided into the neighborhood now known as Hohorst Addition. The house remained in the Hohorst family for ninety-six years. In 2002, after the house had been empty for several years, major rehabilitation work was done to save the neglected building. A new addition was made to the rear of the house, which is not visible from the street, and the front façades remain unchanged.