COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
The Garfield House was designed in the American Foursquare architectural style, which was perfect for the tiny lot size on which it was constructed. Several Victorian architectural elements are also present in the design, including the double-story polygonal bay window, the double-story gallerie and the asymmetrical roofline. Garfield House was constructed in the late 1800s by Mr. Jules Revillion who bought the property form former Louisiana Governor, Alexandre Mouton in 1883. Mr. Revillon’s widow, Josephine, sold the house in 1906, for $3,000, to Bruno Coronna. In 1919, Ms. Cora Langlinais Bernard bought the house as a primary residence for herself and her husband, Numa Bernard, where they raised 3 children. After Numa’s death, Cora converted their home to a boarding house, and it became a successful enterprise, given the close proximity to the railroad. In 1945, Emelie Mouton purchased the house and kept the boarding house business, renaming it Maison Mouton. In 2009, Angelle Gooding and her husband, Jeremiah Gooding, purchased the property and beautifully rehabilitated the building, opening a Bed & Breakfast called Esprit de Coeur.