Frank Jeanmard House is named for the man who built the house and lived there throughout his life. He was the brother of Bishop Jules Jeanmard. Frank Jeanmard was President of Home Savings and Loan Association, which first opened in Lafayette in 1908 and now operates as Home Bank. Mr. Jeanmard was employed there for the entirety of his career. He built his family home for durability, constructing walls, floors and ceilings almost entirely of tongue and groove cypress. The Jeanmard’s youngest daughter, Anna Marie Jeanmard Thibeaux, recalls that her neighbors sought shelter during hurricanes at her parents’ house, knowing the durability with which the house was built. The house is designed using Victorian architectural elements such as the asymmetrical façade, multi-gabled roofline, wrap-around front porch, corner sun room, and decorative window trim. The original water trough used by the family’s milk cow remains on the property today. Elmhurst Park subdivision lots, like many of Lafayette’s early properties, were intended to provide room for a milk cow and a horse for transportation.