COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
First United Methodist Church is among only a handful of remaining structures in Lafayette Parish built in the Classical Revival style. In 1924, funds were raised to construct this building, largely with the generous assistance of patron, Mrs. Elisabeth Denbo-Montgomery. Mrs. Denbo-Montgomery was a local philanthropist and daughter of the original owners of the Denbo-Montgomery House, which is featured on page 54 of this book. Several early members of the First United Methodist Church were also prominent civic leaders in Lafayette, including Eloi Girard, Harold Demanade, J. J. Davidson, Jr., and the Ben P. Paxton families. The pews in the balcony and those in the choir loft are from the early church building, constructed around 1858 on South Washington and Congress Streets. The pulpit, altar chairs, and pump organ also originated in the former church.