Dr. J. D. Trahan

Dr. J. D. Trahan

Built 1869
814 South Washington Street
Lafayette Historic Register Number 021
Designated June 6, 1992

Dr. John D. Trahan practiced medicine for 47 years in the parish of Lafayette. He was born Dec. 27, 1842, the son of Edmond and Emilie (Ducharme) Trahan, both natives of Lafayette Parish, and descendants of French settlers of Nova Scotia who immigrated to southwestern Louisiana in the latter part of the 18th century. He was a pharmacist for General Alfred Mouton during the Civil War, and after the war in 1867, he received a medical degree at Tulane University. He then returned to Lafayette and built this house for his new bride. Dr. J. D. Trahan and his wife, Rose Alice Larribeau were married in 1868, and bought the property from Joseph Breaux in 1869. J. D. Trahan’s practice extended as far as 75 miles from Lafayette, with most of the traveling being done on horseback. During an epidemic of yellow fever, in 1867, Dr. Trahan was untiring in attending to his patients and contracted the disease, but escaped death. In 1873-74 he served as a member of the legislature. In 1895 he was elected a member of the Lafayette city council. In 1898 Dr. Trahan was appointed to the board of Louisiana State Medical Examiners, serving 4 years. Dr. J. D. Trahan’s son, Dr. Anatole Trahan, joined his father’s practice in 1882. Anatole also served as Lafayette’s mayor in 1911.

No Comments

Post A Comment