Cunningham House

Cunningham House

Built 1926
120 Clark Court
Lafayette Historic Register Number 073
Designated April 17, 2008

The Cunningham house is named after the original owner, Mrs. Lillian Avey Cunningham. The Cunningham House is one of the original four houses in Arbolada, all of which were designed to evoke the Old World European aesthetic intended by subdivision developers. Arbolada is Lafayette’s first “planned” neighborhood and was initially designed with a Spanish Revival theme. Tudor, and other Colonial Revival styles were also acceptable home designs. Later Revivalism styles included a mix of elements from two or more European aesthetics. These are referred to as Eclectic Revivalism. Cunningham house has windows and a chimney resembling those of an Old English cottage with decorative motifs and a stucco finish evoking a Spanish Revival appearance. The other houses in this neighborhood with Revivalism styles are the L. O. Clark House, the Carver House and the Dr. Louis B. Long House. They are featured in this book on pages 34, 69, and 86, respectively. Arbolada’s original developers were Dr. L. O. Clark, Mr. Ben Williams, Mr. Albert S. Storm, and Mr. Orrin B. Hopkins. In 1924, they purchased the Arbolada property from Mr. Crow Girard for $13,000.

No Comments

Post A Comment