COPYRIGHT 2020 © PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF LAFAYETTE
This plantation home is located in Sterling Grove National Historic District and was built by Charles Mouton (1797-1848), son of Lafayette founder, Jean Mouton (1754-1834). The house and property were once part of Jean’s plantation of over 300 acres. Jean’s son, Charles, also a planter, acquired the property from his father in 1818. He built the house just prior to his marriage to Marie Julie Latiolais in 1821. Charles and Marie Julie’s son, Charles Homer Mouton, was elected Louisiana Lieutenant governor in 1855. He acquired the property in 1854 from his father’s succession. Over the years, several neighborhoods have been developed from the once vast plantation. In 1856, Mills Addition was developed near downtown near West Congress and South Pierce Streets. The Charles Mouton Plantation overseer’s house still stands at 614 Madison Street in Mills Addition, and that house is featured in this book on page 56. In 1880, Kennedy Addition was developed north of Mills Addition. In the 1890’s three large homes were built next door to the plantation house, also featured in this book. They are: Givens Townhouse, built in 1893, John Nickerson House, built circa 1891, and Givens Cottage, built in 1897. Most of the Charles Homer Mouton property was subdivided and developed in the decades immediately following the turn of the 20th century.