This large, stately home is one of the last survivors of the residential part of downtown Lafayette. It was built by Charles Duval Caffery, who served as Mayor of Lafayette between 1897 and 1900. Charles was married to Mary Parkerson, and they built this house in time for the arrival of their first son, Jefferson Caffery. Jefferson was a distinguished American diplomat for over twenty-five years. Caffery House was restored in 1993 by Mr. & Mrs. Barry J. Sallinger. It remains an excellent example of how an historic residence can be preserved for use in an urban setting. At the time this house was constructed, there were several large homes located in the immediate vicinity of what was formerly Parkerson family property. During the late 19th century, this block of Garfield Street became known as Mansion Row and was on the outskirts of town. Once the railroad was completed between New Orleans and Houston in 1890, the adjacent, undeveloped parcels became prime industrial and commercial real estate.